Harriete Estel Berman
Harriete Estel Berman uses post consumer, recycled materials to construct jewelry, Judaica to sculpture with social commentary. Berman's art work has been exhibited throughout the United States, Europe, and Africa. Her work has been acquired for the permanent collections of 16 museums including the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, the Detroit Institute of Art, Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Minneapolis Institute of Art.
Jewelry uses post consumer recycled materials to reflect the values of our consumer society. Judaica by Harriete Estel Berman focuses on the concept of Tikkun Olam "repair the world" with the use of post consumer recycled tin cans. Sculptures include domestic appliances remarking on the roles of women, the influence of advertising and commentary about our consumer society. Environmental commentary issues include the impact of lawns, and plastic waste in our oceans.
Click here for complete C.V. (PDF)
Click here for one page resume. (PDF)
Exhibitions - Upcoming, Current and Recent
Interested in seeing my artwork in person? Want to come to an opening?
Check out this page on my website dedicated to Upcoming, Current and Recent exhibitions.
Harriete Estel Berman has her jewelry, sculpture and Judaica in over 40 books including a whole chapter in the book, Manufractured: The Conspicuous Transformation of Everyday Objects, Makers: A History of American Studio Craft and the cover of The Fine Art of The Tin Can.
Click here for the full list of books including Harriete Estel Berman's artwork
- Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis, MN
- Crocker Art Museum, Sacramento, CA
- Museum of Arts and Design, New York, NY
- Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, MI
- Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- The Jewish Museum, New York, NY
- Jewish Museum, Berlin, Germany
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA
- National Ornamental Metal Museum, Memphis, TN
- Oakland Museum of California, Oakland, CA
- Racine Art Museum, Racine, WI
- Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian Institute, Washington, DC
- Temple University, Tyler School of Art, Philadelphia, PA
- Yeshiva University Museum, New York, NY,
- The Congregation Emanu-el, San Francisco, CA,
View current work in progress or make an appointment for a studio tour.
Using my metalworking skills for my own business
I do all the silver repair and polishing myself with an eye for detail. It doesn't matter if it is silver plate or sterling silver, my goal is to do the best work possible.
"Check It Out! Home Energy and Water Saving Toolkit" will be available at city and San Mateo County Libraries starting April 24. I came up with the title for the tool kit of energy saving tools. As a recycling evangelist since 1980, I drive my family nuts with ways to recycle, reuse, and repair.
Political and social advocacy doesn't start or stop with artwork with social commentary. Here I am at the March for Science with my husband standing up to be counted. This sign ties into recent artwork TRUTH.