Interviews with Harriete Estel Berman and Press
This page contains selected Interviews with Harriete Estel Berman. Additional press, articles and reviews are on another page or look at my Resume page for more options.
INTERVIEWS with Harriete Estel Berman IN PRINT
Read the article IN THE STUDIO: Harriete Estel Berman, A colorful visit with the empress of tin.
This article was first published in Metalsmith Magazine, January 2009.
Metalsmith Magazine is produced by the SNAG (Society of North American Goldsmiths)
"From Trash to Treasure", Mary Engelbreit's HOME Companion, August/Sept.2003,p.90-94.
INTERVIEWS with Harriete Estel Berman published Online (selected)
I loved being the "Pencil Artist of the Week" on Pencil.com as they featured my artwork "Pick Up Your Pencils, Begin." Pencil.com usually takes a more functional approach to pencils, but their blog regular features artists that use pencils as a media.
Jay Whaley from Metalsmith Bench Talk and I regularly had interviews and conversations online. You can listen to this series of podcasts online. There are five interviews.
2010 Interview on Etsy Recyclers Guild Blog.
2009 Interview on MetalsmithsUnite Blog.
One of my favorite interviews of all time happened by pure serendipity revealed in the introduction to this post.
Read a Q & A about my work by New York Times columnist and author Rob Walker on his well known blog Murketing.com. Rob Walker is the author of the New York Times Sunday Magazine column titled, Consumed. and the author of the book Buying IN.
INTERVIEWS of Harriete Estel Berman on Television
PODCASTS with Harriete Estel Berman published Online
Recent interview with Alison Lee on Craftcast about the ethical and legal issues in the arts and craft community. This interview was in response to the controversal lecture "The GOOD, The BAD, and The UGLY in the AGE of the Internet."
2012 Interview with Harriete Estel Berman on Jay Whaley BlogTalk radio
2010 Listen to my interview with Alison Lee on CraftCast
2009 Interview with Harriete Estel Berman on Jay Whaley Blog Talk Radio
PRESS and REVIEWS
These are only selected magazines, and newspaper publications about my work.
- MAGAZINE COVER PHOTO and ARTICLE
Charlotte Moser, "Harriete Estel Berman," Metalsmith, Vol. 15, No. 3, Summer 1995,
Michael Lasser, "In Art, Timeless is Contemporary," Jewish Monthly, March/April 1999, Cover, 46-49.
C.E.Licka, "Through the Looking Glass: Observations...," Metalsmith, Vol. 10, No. 3, Summer 1990, 28-33.
- MAGAZINE COVER PHOTO
NA'AMAT, Spring 2009.
THE CRAFTS REPORT, March 2008.
THE CRAFTS REPORT, December 2004.
- PERIODICALS - Selected
An article about the pencil sculpture "Pick Up Your Pencils, Begin" is featured in American Craft Magazine.
My seder plate Eons of Exodus was featured in a Judaica article by Daniel Belasco in Metalsmith Magazine. The article titled "Post-Ethnic: Judaica Today" cover one of a kind musuem work to production.
THE CRAFTS REPORT, Insight, December 2007, p.17 includes a full page image of the seder plate titled, How is this Night Different from All Other Nights?
- Lupton, Ellen, Curator, "Framing the Art of Jewelry", METALSMITH, Volume 27, No. 4, 2007, p. 12, 30.
- Wheaton, Hazel, "A Conversation with Harriete Estel Berman", ART JEWELRY, May 2007, p.45-47.
- Cross Gans, Jennifer "Scents of Purpose: Artists Interpret the Spice Box", METALSMITH, Spring 2006, p.54
- Broadrup Lieberman, Elizabeth "Commissions: Harriete Estel Berman", METALSMITH, Spring 2004,p.56.
- "Starter Sets," AMERICAN STYLE, Summer 2003, Table of Contents, p. 86-89.
- "Harriete Estel Berman: Identity," METALSMITH, Spring 2003, Review, p. 47.
- "Harriete Estel Berman," AMERICAN CRAFT, Feb/March'03, Review, p. 90-91.
- "Insight: Recycled Art, Artist to Artist ...", THE CRAFTS REPORT, December 2002.
- "Professional Guidelines: A Document Made for All Crafts Artists", THE CRAFTS REPORT, November 2002, p.12-13,23
- "Jewish Art with a Feminist Consciousness", NA'AMAT, Fall 2002 , Rachel Musleah, NY, p.4-8.
- "Transformations", METALSMITH, Summer 2002. [review]
- "Insight: Beads", CRAFTS REPORT, August 2002. [photo and statement]
- AMERICAN CRAFT, Oct/Nov01 gallery [photo]
- Lifestyle, ST. LOUIS HOMES, September 2001. [photo]
- "Jet City Gems", METROPOLITAN LIVING, June 2001. [photo]
- "Medals of Choice", AMERICAN CRAFT, Dec/Jan 01. [exhibition review]
- SPIRITUALITY and HEALTH, Fall 2000, Gallery, [photo and text]
- "Ironing: Women's Work", ANVIL MAGAZINE, September 2000, [photo and text]
- AMERICAN CRAFT, Aug/Sept 2000, Gallery [photo]
- Style spotlight, AMERICAN STYLE, Summer 2000. [photo]
- Attitude and Action-North Am. Figurative Jewellery, CRAFTS, U.K., Nov/Dec 2000.[exhibition review]
- METALSMITH, Fall 1999, SNAG, WI [review and photo]
- METALSMITH, Exhibition In Print, 1999, SNAG, WI [statement and photo]
- AMERICAN STYLE, September, 1999, [statement and photo]
- Cogswell, John, "The EnvironMental Bead," METALSMITH, Spring/99.
- "Containment", METALSMITH, Fall/99. [review and photo]
- Browne, Kathleen, "Moving Metal-An Exh. of Cont. Metalsmiths," METALSMITH, Winter/99.
- Gallery, AMERICAN CRAFT, April/May 1999. [photo]
- "To Life", AMERICAN CRAFT, April/May 1998. [photo]
- Previews, ARTWEEK, August 97, San Francisco, CA. [photo]
- "Exhibition: The Environmental Bead", ORNAMENT, Summer 97. [article and photo]
- "Tins Ain't What they used to be", CRAFTS, U.K. November/December 96. [Shortform]
- "Chain Gang", NICHE, Autumn 96. [article and photo]
- "Chain Gang", AMERICAN CRAFT, August/ September 96. [article and photo]
- Turner, "Issues and Intent, Cont.Am. Metalwork," METALSMITH, Summer 96.[review and photo]
- "Driving Detroit's Art Avenue", ART and ANTIQUES, March 96. [photo]
- SURFACE Design, Spring 96, "Quilt as Content", Margo Mensing, [article and photo]
- METALSMITH, Spring 96, "2nd Annual Jewelry/Metals Symposium," Seattle, WA., Sharon Boardway, [review and photo]
- METALSMITH, Exhibition In Print, 1994, SNAG, WI [statement and photo]
- AMERICAN CRAFT, February/March 94, "Nine Decades: The Northern Ca.Craft Movement, 1907 to the Present," Matthew Kangas [review and photo]
- SURFACE DESIGN, fall 93, "Exposure", Oakland, CA [photo]
- TGA EYE, July 93, "Is Japan Ready to Import Feminism?", Anne Bailey, Tokyo, Japan
- ARTWEEK, 8/20/92, "Contradictory Natures", Salli McQuaid, S.F., CA [review and photos]
- AMERICAN CRAFT, Aug./Sept. 90 "For the Birds", [photo]
- AXIS, Quarterly on Trends in Design, Autumn 91, Japan [photo]
- ARTWEEK, 8/26/89, Mark Van Proyen, San Francisco, CA [review]
- ARTWEEK, 3/18/89, Terri Cohn, San Francisco, California [review and photo]
- NEW ART EXAMINER, June 89, Paulette Thenhaus, Chicago, IL [review and photo]
- INDUSTRIAL DESIGN MAGAZINE, January 86, New York [featured design award]
- METALSMITH, Summer 85, Dana Standish, SNAG, WI [review and photo]
- INTERNATIONAL DESIGN, July/August 85, New York, NY [photo]
- AMERICAN CRAFT, February/March 84, portfolio, New York, [photo]
- IMAGES and ISSUES, July/August 83, Collin Gardner, Los Angeles, CA [review and photo]
- METALSMITH, Summer 83, Christina Henrickson, SNAG, WI [review and photos]
- GOLDSMITHS JOURNAL, fall 81, SNAG, New York, NY [review and photo]
- GOLDSMITHS JOURNAL, summer 80, SNAG, New York, NY [review]
- The Weekly, April 19-25, "The Core Materials of Being", C. Kevin Smith, [review and photo]
- The Irish Times, 9/9/00, "Adornments with attitude", Ireland, [review]
- The Jerusalem Post, 12/10/99, Jerusalem, Israel [photos and review]
- Detroit Jewish News, 3/12/99, Detroit, MI [photos and article]
- San Francisco Examiner Magazine, 11/23/97, San Francisco, CA [photo]
- San Jose Mercury News, 10/5/97, "A Cup Full", Carolyn Jung, [review and photos]
- THE WASHINGTON POST, 6/10/96, Michael O'Sullivan, Washington, D.C., [review, photos]
- LOS ANGELES TIMES, 1/4/83, Suzanne Muchnic, Los Angeles, CA [feature article and photos]
- SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS, 5/5/83, "Domestic Discontent", Dorothy Burkhart, San Jose, Ca. [review and photos]
- SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINER, 7/28/82, San Francisco, CA [review and photos]
- PALO ALTO WEEKLY, 7/7/82, Valerie Patten, Palo Alto, CA [review and photos]
- TIMES CHRONICLE, 4/24/80, Montgomery County, PA [feature article and photos]
- THE BULLETIN, 4/28/80, Philadelphia, PA [feature article and photo]
- THE EVENING NEWS, 4/24/80, Harrisburg, PA [feature article and photo]
- THE EVENING NEWS, 4/6/78, Harrisburg, PA [feature article and photo]
Additional published articles and reviews available on request.